I purchased this book a few months back and I’m truly loving its recipes. I like the unpretentious way they are written and the basic recipes have so many variations, it really gets your creative baking juices flowing. haha.
Anyway, these were the vegan chocolate cupcake recipe that I baked as a 8″ cake. It came out perfect.. no doming, soft, moist and very fragrant. To dress the slices up, I spooned some melted white chocolate into a platic ziplock bag, sniped off one edge and drizzled the chocolate in a zig zag pattern on each slice. It was all topped off with a piped swirl of chocolate ganache.
Vegan Chocolate Cake
(bakes into a 8″ square cake or 12 reg cupcakes)
-adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World-
1 cup unsweetened soy milk, room temperature
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup plain flour
1/3 cup cocoa (I used Varlhona)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease and line the bottom of a 8″ square tin or line muffin pans with 12 cupcake liners.
2. Whisk together the soy mil and vinegar and leave aside to curdle.
3. Meanwhile, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Whisk sugar, oil and vanilla into the curdled soy milk. Whisk until foamy.
5. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet ones in two batches and stir until no big lumps remain. A few tiny lumps are fine.
6. Pour batter into tin or cupcake liners and bake until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. For cupcakes, it takes about 18-20 minutes, for the 8″ cake, I baked it for about 30-40 mins.