Another try from the Delia Collection, Baking. This is a different take on the classic chocolate cake, with grated bits of dark chocolate throughout the crumb, which gives the cake a light, speckled colour. The taste itself is all right, but I found it a bit dry. So I piped chocolate ganache and buttercream into the tubular indentation of each mini-cake and I think that really helped lift the flavor by giving the cakes some richness and moisture.
Chocolate and Almond Cake
(makes 1 8″ cake or 16 miniature bundt cakes)
4 oz/ 110g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), grated
40z/ 110g ground almonds
40z/ 110g butter, softened
60z/ 175g caster sugar
4 large eggs, seperated
6-8 tbsp milk
6oz/ 175g self-raising flour, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 220C/ 425F.
2. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat egg yolks one by one into the creamed mixture, beating 30 seconds between each addition.
3. Lightly fold in the ground almonds, grated chocolate and milk.
4. In a clean bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peak stage. Carefully fold the whisked egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Finally, gently fold in the flour. If mixture is very stiff, fold in a few extra teaspoonfuls of milk.
5. Spoon the mixture into greased and lined 8″ tin or mini-bundt cake pans.
6. Place tin in the center rack of the oven, and turn down the temperature to 170C/325F. Bake the cake for 70-75 mins until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. For mini-budt cakes, reduce baking time to 30 mins or so.