It’s ben a while I know… my apologies. It’s been a busy two weeks and I finally got some spare time on my hands.
Anyways, this apple oat crisp is one of the regulars in my torn and tattered reipe binder. Easy peasy to put together and vaguely healthy. Vegetarian too. And a much easier attempt than apple pie, for those cold days when you crave the warmth cinnamony stewed apples but don’t exactly possess the mental determination or upper arm strength required to roll out oft temperamental pie dough.
The only iffy thing about it is the the adding of sugar. Green apples rarely have unifrm tastes..some times they are very tart and some fruits have alot more sweetness. This amount of sugar is for decidly tart apples, if your fruit is sweeter, please reduce the sugar.
Apple Crisp with Oat Topping
6 Granny Smith Apples (sour)
½ cup caster sugar (reduce if apples are sweet)
½ tbsp flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ cup water
¾ cup quick-cooking oats
¾ cup flour
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
95g / 3/8 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
2. Thinly slice apples and place into bottom of an 8” square tin.
3. Mix together caster sugar, ½ tbsp flour and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the apples. Sprinkle water over the fruit mixture.
4. Combine the oats, ¾ cup flour. Brown sugar, baking powder, soda and melted butter with a fork to make the crumble topping. Using your fingers, crumble the topping over the fruit.
5. Bake for 45-60 mins until the topping is golden brown.
6. Serve warm with ice cream…vanilla being my choice.